You are here
The ComSoc Women in Communications Engineering (WICE) invites you to participate in a full day workshop, which will take place in conjunction with the IEEE GLOBECOM conference in Washington DC, on Dec. 4th, 2016.
Invited speakers & panelists:
- Andrea Goldsmith, Professor, Stanford University, USA
- Sheila Hemami, Draper Labs, USA
- Muriel Medard, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Monique Morrow, CTO – Evangelist for New Frontiers Development and Engineering, Cisco, Switzerland
- Emina Soljanin, Professor, Rutgers University, USA
- Antonia M. Tulino, Research Scientist, Nokia-Bell Labs, USA
- Peiying Zhu, Huawei Fellow, Chief Expert of Wireless Communications, Huawei, Canada
- Grace J. Wang, Deputy Assistant Director, Directorate for Engineering, National Science Foundation, USA
Learn more about the workshop: http://wice.committees.comsoc.org/home/workshop-2016/.
The Organizing Committee
By the completion of the course, you will be able to identify the difference between:
- Wireless and Mobile
- Wireless and Fixed Networks
- Macro-cells, Micro-cells, Pico-cells, and Femtocells
- Packet Switching vs. Circuit Switching
- Cellular Network Generations [1G; 2G (GSM and FDMA/TDMA); 2.5G (GPRS); 3G (UMTS; CDMA); 3.5G (HSPDA; HSPA+); Almost 4G (LTE; OFDMA); 4G (LTE Advanced)]
- Wireless usage, history
- Electromagnetic spectrum, propagation, antennas
- Modulation and access methods
- Network protocols and layers
- Elements of wireless telecommunication networks
- Understanding of the systems, protocols, and mechanisms needed to support mobility in communications
- Wireless generations 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G
- Wireless Standards: GSM/UMTS/LTE, 802.11/WiFi,...
- Types of Telecommunications Networks: Cellular, Vehicular, Sensors, RFID, Satellite, ...
- Service evolution
- Mobile applications development
- HW and SW in Smartphones and other mobile platforms
- Content distribution networks
For other featured Tech Focus topics, visit www.comsoc.org/TechFocus