This award is to recognize outstanding leadership and technical contributions to communications standardization. Specifically, this award is to recognize individuals (or a team) whose contributions have significantly impacted the development of standards including the identification of major standards opportunities and post-standardization activities (such as the development of certification programs) within the Communications Society’s technical scope. This award is intended to honor those showing leadership and technical contributions to any standardization organization (not just IEEE Standards) including industry consortia.
Plaque and honorarium of US$1,000
Single Annual Award with Multiple Recipients – Prize to be equally split among multiple recipients. (Multiple people or a team that collaborated on the achievement. Only one of the awardees is entitled to a travel allowance.)
Administered by the IEEE Communications Society Awards Committee.
- The award shall be open to individuals (or teams) at any level who were participating in: standardization and post-standardization technical activities. The candidate(s) is(are) not required to be IEEE member(s) nor required to be ComSoc member(s).
- Eligibility and Selection process shall comply with procedures and regulation established in IEEE and Society/Council governing documents, particularly with IEEE Policy 4.4 on Awards Limitations.
- Previous award winners are not eligible for substantially the same achievements (per IEEE Policies 4.4: An individual shall receive only one award for a given achievement unless the significance merits a higher award, which may be given in the following year or thereafter.)
Selection/Basis for Judging
- Discovery of important standardization opportunities.
- Development of new standards in the communication area.
- Active participation in standard-related activities and contributed to technical standards.
- Setting up or contributing to post-standardization activities (such as certification).
The IEEE Communications Society shall administer the award out of annual Society’s operating expenses. US$1,000 for the award and US$1,500 for travel allowance.
Annually, at GLOBECOM. Award shall not be given if no candidate is nominated or selected.
The award winner(s) will be publicized on the IEEE Communications Society - Awards Committee Website and via an email announcement, in addition to the above public presentation.
Nominations due 1 September unless otherwise noted.