2022 President-Elect Candidate
ComSoc has long been leading organization for communications and networking professionals. In a constant evolution to better serve our members, I am committed to the following goals:
- Maintenance of the excellence of publications, conferences, and educational services.
- Intensification of the industry participation in our diverse technical activities, standards, practices, and in local chapters to facilitate networking.
- Development of new programs for emerging technologies while encouraging participation by all stakeholders.
- Promotion of diversity and inclusion in our leadership and volunteer positions.
- Attraction of new members while retaining existing ones by using innovative approaches to enhance benefits and develop value-added programs, especially for woman, students and young professionals.
- Empowerment of Chapters by improving funding and support.
- Development of engagement programs, such as mentoring and training programs, for Young Professionals and students and Specialized Career Development Center.
- Development of cost-effective strategies to improve ComSoc's financial performance and reduce service cost, while increasing the quality and variety of services offered.
- Promote integrity, openness, and inclusiveness, developing transparent processes for selecting volunteers and grooming the next-generation of leaders.
I have served ComSoc in various roles, including Vice-President Conferences, Vice President Technical and Educational Activities, Vice President Publications, Vice President Member Relations, Director of On-line Services, Director of Conference Development and Director of Latin America Region as well as Member-at-Large of the Board of Governors. This has given me a unique experience to lead several successful projects. It will be a privilege to serve you while providing the best possible value for our members.
Nelson Fonseca received his Ph.D. from the University of Southern California, and is a Full Professor at the State University of Campinas, Brazil. He is currently the ComSoc Vice-President Conferences. He has served as ComSoc Vice-President Technical and Education Activities, Vice-President Publications, Vice-President Member Relations, Director Conference Development, Director Latin-America Region, and Director On-Line Services. Nelson was Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials. He is a member of the IEEE Internet Award selection committee.
Nelson founded several important ComSoc initiatives: the Student Competition, the IEEE Networking Letters, the series of ICC/GLOBECOM Multimedia Symposia , the IEEE LATINCOM Conference, and the NFV-SDN Conference. He is the General Chair of GLOBECOM 2022, and served as TPC Co-Chair of ICC 2016 and WCNC 2019.
Nelson received the IEEE ComSoc Harold Sobol Award for Exemplary Service to Meetings and Conferences and the IEEE ComSoc Joseph LoCicero Award for Exemplary Service to Publications.