2023 Vice President - Publications Candidate
The IEEE ComSoc publications represent primary venues to disseminate research findings in the area of communications and networking. Tens of thousands of ComSoc members are contributing to the high standard of our publications as authors, members of the editorial boards, and reviewers. It is our responsibility to maintain and further enhance the exceptional quality of our publication portfolio.
If elected, I will bring my experience as director of journals, (inaugural) editor-in-chief, senior editor/editor/guest editor, author and reviewer, as well as my enthusiasm and steady commitment to our society to further advance the reputation of our publication portfolio and serve our members.
Along with our publication volunteers, I will work diligently to attain these goals, particularly focusing on:
- Ensuring that we provide high quality reviews, fair and timely decisions.
- Recognizing the outstanding service of our reviewers and editors, and working with the Awards Committee to further acknowledge the exceptional research of the authors.
- Increasing the diversity of our editorial boards (geographical, gender).
- Strengthening the participation of colleagues from industry, e.g., by creating special columns/series with industry participation.
- Further augmenting the reputation of our new publications through indexing them in the Clarivate's Web of Science.
- Promoting new publications/series on emerging fields of communications and networking.
- Providing access to additional publications and reducing the publication fees as part of the ComSoc membership benefits.
- Marketing our high-quality publications and offering improved benefits to our members through online content.
Octavia A. Dobre—Professor at Memorial University, Canada—is an internationally recognized researcher in the area of wireless communications. Octavia is Fellow of the IEEE, Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and elected member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. Other awards and honors include Best Paper Awards at IEEE Globecom, ICC, WCNC and PIMRC, Fulbright Scholar, IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lecturer, and Technical Recognition Award from the IEEE Technical Committee on Cognitive Networks. Her broad ComSoc volunteer experience includes Director of Journals, BoG Member-at-Large, Inaugural Chair of Women in Communications Engineering standing committee, Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Communications Letters, and Inaugural Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society. In 2022, she received the IEEE ComSoc Joseph LoCicero Award for Exemplary Service to Publications.