26 June 2019 - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm EDT
Registration closes on Monday, 24 June 2019 at 5:00pm EDT
$279 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
LTE (Long Term Evolution) is the most successful wireless cellular system in the world today. It serves our voracious appetite for more and more mobile data, but the demand for mobile data continues to grow, and LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro are emerging. Whereas LTE-Advanced can in some ways be considered the first "true" 4G system, LTE- Advanced Pro is already heading firmly towards the support of new applications and capabilities on the path towards 5G. 5G introduces many concepts, some of which are more fleshed out than others at this time, but by 2020 things should become more concrete.
This course covers:
- motivations for going beyond LTE, and eventually towards 5G
- new application scenarios such as MTC and D2D that are strong drivers for 5G
- technology innovations in LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro: carrier aggregation, CoMP, HetNets, relaying, LAA, NB-IOT., etc.
- concepts on 5G (network densification, etc.) from IMT-2020, etc.
- Massive-MIMO, millimeter wave, 5G new RAT, NFV, network slicing, and other technologies that are expected to be part of 5G
Who Should Attend
For wireless and telecomm engineers, researchers, and students (advanced undergraduates or graduate students), interested in understanding:
- the directions that wireless is moving towards;
- scenarios, requirements, and applications for 5G;
- specifics of the innovative technologies being actively researched and developed for 5G. The level of instruction is intermediate to advanced.
Pre-requisites: knowledge of LTE on the level of the ComSoc course on LTE is helpful. However, a brief review of LTE will be provided at the beginning of this course.
Upon completing this course, participants will:
Know how to think of LTE-Advanced (and LTE-Advanced Pro) systems from a systems perspective, how the different components are put together and work together.
Better understand how to design LTE-Advanced deployments to optimize usage of LTE-Advanced technologies. Be able to explain the directions in which technology and standards are moving as 5G comes.
Be better able to explore ideas for solving problems posed by requirements for new communications system (with 5G and its requirements as an example).
Be able to compare and contrast wireless technologies more accurately and with deeper insight and understanding than before.
See agenda below.
- Introduction (60 minutes)
- Definitions, overview LTE very brief review
- Moving forward from LTE Motivations for 5G
- Market overview
- New application scenarios (30 minutes)
- D2D V2X
- The dense, heterogeneous network ..Very high quality video, VR/AR, etc.
- LTE-Advanced (90 minutes)
- Carrier Aggregation Relaying
- Other topics o LTE-Advanced Pro (60 minutes)
- LTE-Unlicensed (LTE-U)
- Licensed-Assisted Access (LAA) and Enhanced LAA (eLAA) Full-dimension MIMO
- Indoor positioning
- Enhancements to LTE-Advanced
- 5G Network Architecture and Concepts (60 minutes)
- Network slicing
- Network densification and its implications
- 5G Radio Access Architectures and Concepts (60 minutes)
- Massive MIMO
- Millimeter wave
- New waveforms over the air
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 15 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara Gallus, Certification and Professional Education Manager.