18 September 2019 - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm EDT
Registration closes on 16 September 2019 at 5:00pm EDT
Online via WebEx
$149 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
New Course - First Time Offered!
This course will help you to gain an understanding of the end-to-end 5G architecture and its roadmap, including 5G core, enabling variety of use cases, next generation service-based architecture and telco cloud. The instructor will share insight on end-to-end strategic pillars, technology, industry and ecosystem roadmap, challenges, realities and what to expect in the next several years, and beyond.
Participants will get the big picture of 5G systems, not just focusing on new radio. Timelines and how the use cases are enabled will be addressed. An explanation of the role of 4G, 5G, Wi-Fi, fixed, and x-casting in the multi-access and access-agnostic converged future will be provided. Focus on 5G core and how the end-to-end services are enabled using RAN will be highlighted. The instructor will discuss the next generation architecture, technologies and operation and how service-based architecture, slicing, NFV, SDN, automation, orchestration, etc. is increasingly integrated. It will be explained how slice selection, analytics function, separation of control and user plane, session management function, user plane function, edge cloud, etc. all work together. Technology enablers such as machine-learning as an essential aspect of automation, edge cloud, etc. will also be discussed.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for industry professionals (from juniors to subject matter experts in various fields, range of industries impacted by digital transformation, 5G, IoT), academia (profs/researchers/program developers), consultants and self-employed who would like to learn more about 5G in an end-to-end context setting. If you would like to gain insights and get an introduction of concepts, technologies, architecture, standards, research, industry roadmap, and 5G technologies enabling the next 5 years, this course will be of interest to you.
Participants in this course will gain an understanding of
- 5G systems (not just new radio)
- The attributes of control/user plane separation, service based architecture etc.
- Enabling end to end architecture evolution and standards roadmap
- Timelines and how the use cases are enabled
- Multi-access and access-agnostic converged future - role of 4G and 5G, Wi-Fi, fixed, and x-casting
- Network slicing starting today with dedicated core and evolving to slice-id and correspondence in standalone 5G and beyond
- How the virtualization, softwarization, cloudification, and 5G are coming together and how communities are building towards a converged environment
- Enablers such as machine-learning as an essential aspect of automation, edge cloud etc.
- Industry plans and strategic insights
A general course outline follows:
- Introduction - 5G, digital transformation & socio-economic/industries impact & use cases
- E2E architecture & its roadmap
- 5G Core & service-based architecture - 5G standard evolution
- NFV/SDN, AI-based automation, telco cloud / edge cloud
- Enabling network slicing & support for high throughput, low latency, high density & verticals (e.g. V2X)
- Wrap-up & road ahead - vision of 2020-2025 & beyond
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 15 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.3 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara Gallus, Certification and Professional Education Manager.