20 November 2019 - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm EST
Registration closes on 18 November 2019 at 5:00pm EST
Online via WebEx
$279 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
In this new, full-day course, the instructor aims to provide an up-to-date overview of the emerging optical communication technologies for next-generation wireless networks such as 5G. Participants will have an opportunity to broaden their knowledge on the emerging applications of optical networks in future wireless networks, deepen their understanding of the state-of-the-art optical communication technologies, and explore new R&D opportunities in the field of converged fixed-mobile networks. Get a comprehensive and in-depth overview of all the technologies, standards, and development efforts associated with 5G-oriented optical networks.
Participant feedback about this course:
“It was well organized & the reference reading materials will greatly help in future research.”
Who Should Attend
This advanced-beginner course is intended for a diverse audience including researchers, engineers, and graduate students. Some basic knowledge of optical networks, wireless networks, optical transmission technologies, photonics, and digital signal processing will help in better understanding the course but is not a prerequisite.
This course will enable you to:
- Describe 5G wireless trends and technologies such as cloud radio access networks (C-RAN), massive multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO), and coordinated multipoint (CoMP)
- Obtain an insight into recent advances on the common public radio interface (CPRI), the Ethernet-based CPRI (eCPRI), and the next-generation fronthaul interface (NGFI)
- Identify promising applications of optical communication technologies in future 5G wireless networks
- Describe emerging optical communication technologies such as 100+Gb/s coherent, low-cost IM/DD transmission, and associated DSP techniques for high-throughput and low-latency wireless fronthaul and backhaul networks
- Discuss emerging network architectures and design tradeoffs among various optical transport and access systems for better converged fiber/wireless networks
- 5G Wireless Trends and Technologies
- Cloud-RAN, Massive MIMO, and coordinated multipoint (CoMP)
- Mobile fronthaul, midhaul and backhaul
- The Optical Interfaces for Wireless
- The common public radio interface (CPRI)
- Evolved CPRI (eCPRI) and next-generation fronthaul interface (NGFI)
- Enabling Optical Communication Technologies
- Modulation, detection, and DSP (100G coherent and low-cost IM/DD)
- Reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexers (ROADM) and optical cross-connects (OXC) Low-cost transceiver devices and subsystems
- 5G-Oriented Optical Networking
- Low-latency metro and access networks
- Highly synchronized and converged fiber/wireless networks
- Industry standard development for 5G-oriented optical networking
- Concluding Remarks
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 15 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara Gallus, Certification and Professional Education Manager.