26 - 28 February 2020 - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST
Registration closes on Monday, 24 February at 5:00pm EST
Online via WebEx
$699 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
This 20-hour course meets over three days. It gives an in-depth review of chosen topics from the major communication areas comprising
- Fundamental Knowledge
- RF Engineering, Propagation, Antennas, and Signal Processing
- Wireless Access Technologies
- Network and Service Architecture
- Network Management and Security
- Facilities Infrastructure, Standards and Regulations
- Emerging New Paradigms and Services
Customer Testimonial about this course: "It has served like a boot camp - covered almost all there is in Wireless Communication." ~ Martin Kizito Waidhuba, UCSI University
Who Should Attend
The purpose of the course is to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date review of wireless communication for engineering professionals, instructors and students. The course covers wireless transmission and reception principles, electromagnetic propagation, antenna characteristics, and wireless network access methods. Cellular wireless interfaces and core networks from second generation GSM and CDMA through LTE and 5G New Radio are covered in detail. Other wireless systems and networks, among them Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Zigbee, as well as satellite communication, are also part of the syllabus.
A well-rounded wireless engineering professional needs to know non-wireless aspects of network communication, and accordingly this course teaches the basics of internet protocol, network and service architectures, and also communications security and techniques for achieving location awareness. Features of communication infrastructure and engineering documentation are included in the curriculum along with the emerging technologies of IoT and vehicle communication. Practice questions with answers and discussion are provided throughout the course to monitor understanding of the material covered.
Take this course to:
- Review fundamentals of wireless communication engineering
- Understand radio wave propagation and antenna characteristics
- Review wireless network access technologies and generations of cellular network standards
- Become familiar with non-cellular wireless networks, wireless area networks and satellite communication
- Learn network and service architectures including internet protocol routing, mobile IP and teletraffic analysis, IMS
- Learn features of network management, including monitoring tools and security
- Get the basics of communications infrastructure including design considerations regarding electrical transients, antenna towers and signal distribution.
- Become up-to-date on emerging technologies and services including 5G New Radio, MIMO, IoT, the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth specs, positioning and location.
A general course outline follows:
- Radio engineering fundamentals -- RF Systems, modulation, frequency spectrum
- Antennas, wave propagation, MIMO, receiver architecture and performance parameters
- Multiple access methods – FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, OFDM and OFDMA, random access
- Cellular air interface -- evolution from GSM through LTE and 5G
- Wireless local and personal area networks, satellite communication, ad hoc networks, UWB
- Network architectures – Internet protocol, packet switching, quality of service, VoIP, teletraffic analysis
- Service architectures -- IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS)
- Network security -- Wi-Fi, cellular, internet protocol
- Infrastructure, standards and regulations
- Emerging technologies – Internet of Things, machine type communications, vehicle to vehicle and vehicle to anything communication, millimeter wavelength communication, positioning and location.
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides (via PDF) and a copy of the Guide to the Wireless Engineering Body of Knowledge (WEBOK), 2nd edition published by John Wiley & Sons. The WEBOK will be mailed to the address specified in your order to arrive before the course begins for those who register before 18 February; the WEBOK will be sent out 24-48 business hours after your order is received. It may take another 3-5 days to reach you.
Course participants will be provided with access to the online, streaming video recording of the course for the 15 business days following the course date.
CEU Credits: 2
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shipped to a participant, only a 50% refund can be issued if requested 3 business days prior to the course date. Requests for online course cancellations received less than 3 business days prior to the course cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Certification and Professional Education Manager.