8 July 2020 - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm EDT
Registration closes on 6 July 2020 at 5:00pm EDT
Online via WebEx
$149 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
An intermediate level course intended for engineers creating, or about to create, products for use with IoT applications
Most new Internet-of-Things (IoT) applications have a wireless component. Generally, the wireless technology is an enabler, but not the main focus of the company developing the application / product. Such companies may struggle with the main issues associated with selecting and integrating wirelesss technology into products. This course teaches you what you need to know in order to select a wireless solution for an IoT application regardless of the chosen platform.
Who Should Attend
An intermediate level course - this is intended for engineers creating, or about to create, products for use with Internet-of-Things applications.
Upon completion of the course the participant should understand:
- The main attributes of the major competing wireless technologies
- How to interpret radio specifications
- How to compare two radio modules
- How to select a suitable radio technology
- The requirements to make a product legal for sale
- The common impairments affecting radio performance
A general course outline follows:
- IoT basics
- Wireless Behavior (Line of Sight, Near Line of Sight, Non Line of Sight)
- RF and Antenna (Performance characteristics, Frequency bands of interest and global variants, Band selection criteria)
- Radio Specifications (What is being measured, How to compare specifications, Typical performance numbers)
- Licensed vs. Unlicensed Spectrum
- The Main Wireless Standards (Cellular, WiFi, Zigbee, Bluetooth)
- Other Wireless Standards
- Networking Standards (Cellular, Ad-hoc, Mesh, 6LowPan)
- Making Your Product Legal
- Getting Good Performance Numbers
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 20 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.3 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating upon completion of post-course evaluation.
Upon registration, you will automatically be emailed the WebEx invitation for the course session, but you will also be sent a reminder message to join the WebEx session prior to the start of the course. Course materials will be emailed to you and will be available for download from the WebEx session page for this course, the day prior to the scheduled course date.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, cancellation and refund requests cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Certification and Professional Education Manager.