16 September 2020 - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm EDT
Registration closes on 14 September 2020 at 5:00pm EDT
Online via WebEx
$149 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
This course will help you gain an understanding of the end-to-end 5G architecture and its roadmap, including multi-access, service-based and cloud native 5G core, enabling a wide range of use cases. The instructor will share insight on end-to-end strategic pillars, technology, industry and ecosystem roadmap, challenges, and realities, along with what to expect in the next several years, and beyond.
Participants will get an understanding of 5G systems, focusing both on end-to-end 5G system and also specifically 5G core. Timelines and how the broad range of use cases with diverse requirements are enabled will be addressed. An explanation of the integration of 4G, Wi-Fi, fixed, and non-terrestrial communications, in the multi-access and converged future will be provided. 5G core and its key functions in separated control and user planes will be discussed, along with end-to-end service enablement, leveraging native telco cloud, and an increasingly open, disaggregated, and cloud-based RAN. The instructor will explain the evolution of the next generation architecture, technologies and operation and how network slicing, NFV, SDN, automation, orchestration, etc. are introduced from design or increasingly evolved. Technology enablers such as machine-learning as an essential aspect of automation, edge cloud, etc. will also be discussed.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for industry professionals (from juniors to subject matter experts in various fields, range of industries impacted by digital transformation, 5G, IoT), academia (profs/researchers/program developers), consultants and self-employed who would like to learn more about 5G in an end-to-end context setting. If you would like to gain insights and get an introduction of concepts, technologies, architecture, standards, research, industry roadmap, and 5G technologies enabling the next 5 years, this course will be of interest to you.
Participants in this course will gain an understanding of
- 5G systems
- The attributes of control/user plane separation, service based architecture etc.
- Enabling end to end architecture evolution and standards roadmap
- Timelines and how the use cases are enabled
- Multi-access and access-agnostic converged future - role of 4G and 5G, Wi-Fi, fixed, and x-casting
- Network slicing starting today with dedicated core and evolving to slice-id and correspondence in standalone 5G and beyond
- How the virtualization, softwarization, cloudification, and 5G are coming together and how communities are building towards a converged environment
- Enablers such as machine-learning as an essential aspect of automation, edge cloud etc.
- Industry plans and strategic insights
A general course outline follows:
- Introduction - 5G, digital socio-economic transformation, increasingly automated industries, use cases
- 5G system E2E architecture, current and emerging availability & its roadmap – Standards evolution
- 5G Core & service-based architecture
- NFV/SDN, AI-based automation and orchestration, telco cloud / edge cloud, open cloud RAN
- Enabling network slicing & support for high throughput, low latency, high density & vertical markets (e.g. V2X)
- Multi-access, multi-domain 5G – Fixed, WiFi, or non-terrestrial integration
- Wrap-up & road ahead, 2021 – 2025+, full 5G realization & beyond
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 20 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.3 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Upon registration, you will automatically be emailed the WebEx invitation for the course session, but you will also be sent a reminder message to join the WebEx session prior to the start of the course. Course materials will be emailed to you and will be available for download from the WebEx session page for this course, the day prior to the scheduled course date.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Certification and Professional Education Manager.