15 - 16 June 2022 - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm EDT
Registration closes on 13 June 2022 at 5:00pm EDT
Online via WebEx
$279 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
CEU Credits: 0.7 CEUs
Architecture, Capabilities and Implementation Aspects
The deployment of 5G/NR is currently one of the highest priorities of advanced Mobile Network Operators.
The goal of this course is to provide participants with a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of 5G/NR deployment, considering both Non-Standalone (NSA) and Standalone (SA) implementation options. At first, the architecture, the air interface, and the 3GPP deployment options of 5G/NR are presented. Next, the NSA deployment of NR with LTE as an anchor technology is explained, focusing on radio functionality, bearer handling, mobility and performance. Moreover, the main aspects of 5G SA deployment are analyzed, including the new 5G QoS framework, the benefits from the deployment of the new 5G Core Network (5GC) and the impact of the migration from NSA to SA. Relevant case studies will be presented and methods for the dynamic spectrum sharing between LTE and 5G/NR in lower frequency bands will be discussed.
Recommended Course: Massive and Critical Machine Type Communications in LTE and 5G/NR on 11-12 August 2022.
Who Should Attend
The course is intended for radio network engineers holding technical positions up to principal engineer or mid-level technical manager, as well as for academic staff involved in research and teaching in course-related areas. The course should be interesting for mobile network operators, mobile network infrastructure vendors and universities.
Level of Instruction
Intermediate level of instruction. Overview level knowledge of LTE and 5G/NR radio access technologies is required.
Upon completion of the course the participant should understand the:
- Main technical aspects and capabilities of the 5G/NR Radio Access Technology.
- Architecture and deployment options of 5G/NR.
- Principles of Dual Connectivity and Carrier Aggregation
- 5G NR NSA radio network functionality and bearer handling.
- New 5G QoS framework and benefits of the 5G/NR Standalone deployment.
- Migration from 5G/NR NSA to SA.
- 5G/NR implementation aspects.
- Methods to achieve LTE-NR spectrum sharing.
A general course outline follows:
- Introduction - 5G/NR Architecture and Deployment Options
- 5G/NR Air Interface overview
- Radio network functionality, bearer handling and deployment aspects for 5G/NR NSA with EN-DC (3GPP Option 3).
- 5G QoS framework and benefits from the 5G/NR SA deployment
- Migration from 5G/NR NSA to 5G/NR SA.
- 5G/NR implementation aspects
- LTE-NR Dynamic Spectrum Sharing
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 20 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.7 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Upon registration, you will automatically be emailed the WebEx invitation for the course session, but you will also be sent a reminder message to join the WebEx session prior to the start of the course. Course materials will be emailed to you and will be available for download from the WebEx session page for this course, the day prior to the scheduled course date.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Certification and Professional Education Manager.