29 - 30 March 2023 - 9:00 am to 12:30 pm EDT
Registration closes on 27 March 2023 at 5:00pm EDT
Register for All 4 Courses and Save!
Online via WebEx
$279 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
CEU Credits: 0.6 (6 hours)
This course presents a comprehensive overview of telecommunication networks. The instructor begins with a review of internet protocol (IP) principles as they apply to communications networks, including those that have wireless access terminals. Then the IP core network is discussed in conjunction with cellular network evolution from circuit switched to packet switched all-IP core network architectures. Technologies for QoS (quality of service) support and VoIP (voice over IP) transport are reviewed as well as network security. Physical infrastructure characteristics are also examined. The course concludes with a discussion of types of engineering documentation.
Special note: This is the second in a series of four courses addressing the overall technologies in wireless communications. The four courses in the series include:
- Fundamentals of Wireless Communication, 22-23 March
- Network and Service Architecture, 29-30 March
- Cellular Networks, 12-13 April
- Non-cellular Wireless Systems, 19 April
Register for All 4 Courses and Save!
Register for all four courses in one transaction and save 25% on your registration fee when you use promo code IWCS2023 or register for all 4 courses with the discount applied.
Interested in purchasing this course series for your employees? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or view more details.
Watch a brief introduction clip from this course.
Who Should Attend
This course will benefit radio engineers and other telecommunication professionals seeking overall knowledge of the workings of large-scale communication networks from the flow of data through security, facility infrastructure, and documentation.
Take this course to gain an understanding of:
- The concept of protocol layering, the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model and the internet protocol suite TCP/IP
- Routing of internet data packets, the constituents of the packet header, IP addresses and the differences between IP versions IPv4 and IPv6
- Dealing with mobility of IP terminals
- How quality of service (QoS) is dealt with throughout a network from mobile wireless terminal to the destination terminal
- The provision of multimedia services, including voice and video, over the packet network, by means of the IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS)
- Features of network management, including monitoring tools and the Self Organizing Network (SON)
- The concepts of communication security and implementation in IP networks
- Components of network infrastructure, from power supplies to antenna towers
- The differences between types of telecommunication industry documentation and how they influence characteristics and quality of products and services.
- IP fundamentals
- Mobile IP
- Teletraffic analysis
- QoS (Quality of Service)
- VoIP (Voice over IP)
- IMS (Internet protocol multimedia subsystem)
- Network management and security
- Physical infrastructure
- Agreements, standards, policies, regulations
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 20 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Upon registration, you will automatically be emailed the WebEx invitation for the course session, but you will also be sent a reminder message to join the WebEx session prior to the start of the course. Course materials will be emailed to you and will be available for download from the WebEx session page for this course, the day prior to the scheduled course date.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Certification and Professional Education Manager.
Review the system requirements for WebEx.
Test your browser by joining a meeting.