15 June 2023 - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm EDT
Registration closes on 13 June 2023 at 5:00pm EDT
(updated from Cloud-Native 5G: Architecture, Enablers, and Roadmap)
Online via WebEx
$279 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
Students can save on registration fees.
CEU Credits: 0.6 CEUs
If you would like to gain insights and get an introduction of concepts, technologies, architecture, standards, research, industry roadmap, and 5G technologies enabling the next 2-10 years, this course will be of interest to you.
This updated course presents an end-to-end view and shares insights on each aspect of 5G / 5G-Advanced and its roadmap, including architecture, functions and their role in end-to-end operation, multi-access, satellite and unmanned aerial vehicle integration, service-based and cloud-native 5G core, network disaggregation and openness, smart edge, energy efficiency, new user device types, new topologies, and evolution beyond 5G, enabling trends and wide range of use cases. The course is designed to help participants understand the technology, industry, design, operation, as well as research topics and academic program building blocks from an introductory-to-advanced level enabling the next 2
-10 years, with concepts, context and insights (and with placeholders for and pointers to technical and standards details). Insights on end-to-end pillars, technology, standardization, industry, service enablement, and ecosystem roadmap, challenges, and realities, along with what to expect, from research to smart societies and automated industries will be shared.
Participants will study 5G systems, focusing on end-to-end cloud native and increasingly disaggregated and intelligent 5G system. Timelines and how the broad range of use cases with diverse requirements are enabled will be addressed. An explanation of the integration of 4G, Wi-Fi, fixed, and non-terrestrial communications, in the multi-access and converged future will be provided. 5G core and its key functions in separated control and user planes along with end-to-end service enablement, leveraging native telco cloud, and an increasingly open, disaggregated, and cloud-based RAN will be discussed. The attributes, usage scenarios, and technologies of 5G-Advanced will be outlined as the full vision of 5G roadmap is realized. This includes new and expanded capabilities in applications, performance, energy efficiency, topologies and user device types.
The instructor will explain the evolution of the next generation architecture, technologies and operation and how network slicing, cloud-native technologies, containerization of micro-services, software-defined networking, automation, orchestration, etc. are introduced from design and built and evolved. Technology enablers such as machine-learning as an essential aspect of automation, smart edge & hybrid cloud, etc. will also be discussed, from architecture and standards to deployments and service enablement, including how they migrate and evolve. Furthermore, the increasing merger of physical, virtual and digital worlds, immersive extended reality and the use of digital replicas are outlined.
The course will wrap-up with key important forward-looking paradigms: The evolution of digital transformation and automated industries with increasingly open, converged, autonomous and cognitive 5G / 5G-Advanced system, as well as its path to achieving energy efficiency and environmental sustainability, embedded intelligence, immersive experience, and digital / physical merger towards beyond-5G / 6G.
Save on Courses
Students use promo code STUDENT23 during checkout to save 15% on your registration fee.*
*This promotion is only available to student members and cannot be combined with other course promotions or discounts.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for industry / enterprise professionals, public or private (from juniors to subject matter experts in various fields, range of industries impacted by digital transformation, 5G, Cloud, AI, Green, 5G Advanced, Beyond 5G / 6G), academia (profs/researchers/program developers), consultants and self-employed who would like to learn more about 5G evolution & its future in an end-to-end context setting. If you would like to gain insights and get an introduction of concepts, technologies, architecture, standards, research, industry roadmap, and 5G technology roadmap enabling the next 2-10 years, this course will be of interest to you.
Participants in this course will gain an understanding of
- 5G system, architecture, and functions
- 5G deployments, migration, and roadmap towards 5G-Advanced and beyond
- Cloud native containerization & cognitive automation of 5G system evolution & operation - Disaggregated and cloudified RAN
- Multi-access nature of 5G core & service ubiquity through integration of fixed/mobile, local/wide, terrestrial/non-terrestrial (including LEO satellites)
- Wide range of use cases, with case studies & many examples and how value/service is created and delivered to wide range of use cases with diverse requirements
- How the end-to-end works, how it connects to other Comsoc courses (e.g. 5G NR, Security, IoT, Cloud, etc.), and how to be empowered to go deeper on any component
- The work of standardization bodies, and the status of the ecosystem and industries
- Full 5G realization in coming years and its evolution path including 5G-Advanced use cases, architecture, efficiency, device types, topologies and technologies
- Energy efficiency, Green & sustainability
- Motivations for systems beyond 5G. Research and global initiatives on 6G and systems for 2030 and beyond.
- Context and insight, end-to-end picture in aspects and in its evolution in the next 2-10 years
- Broad range and key areas of research
- Motivation and 5G characterization
- Digital socio-economic transformation & increasingly automated industries wide range of use cases
- 5G characterization
- 5G architecture, deployment, operation
- Evolution from 4G to 5G, 5G core disaggregation and service-based architecture, role of functions, end-t-end operation with examples (from user access, mobility, and session to Internet), key protocols, QoS
- 5G deployments and migrations and inter-working – real examples
- Standardization releases, study and work items, and timeline
- Use cases and case studies
- Cloud native 5G system roadmap
- Cloud, NFV/virtualization, containers/micro-services, SDN, SD-WAN, O-RAN, ONAP, orchestration and automation, etc.
- E2E cognitive autonomous 5G including cloudified and increasingly disaggregated and intelligent RAN, along with Edge computing
- Network slicing & E2E Service Delivery
- Multi-Access 5G
- Access-neutral 5G core, service continuity, fixed/mobile, local/wide, terrestrial/non-terrestrial, standards evolution
- Motivations, components, technologies – applications, performance, efficiency, topologies
- Use cases, immersive extended reality and digital replicas, new devices and interfaces
- Intelligence and machine learning
- Stepping stone between 5G and beyond – digital transformation
- Energy efficiency and sustainability – climate change and net-zero emission technologies, operation and practices
- From full realization of 5G / 5G-Advanced to beyond-5G / 6G
- Summary & conclusion
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 20 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Upon registration, you will automatically be emailed the WebEx invitation for the course session, but you will also be sent a reminder message to join the WebEx session prior to the start of the course. Course materials will be emailed to you and will be available for download from the WebEx session page for this course, the day prior to the scheduled course date.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Educational Services Sr Program Manager.