Second Quarter 2023
Manuscript Submission Deadline
Call for Papers
The IEEE Open Journal of Communications Society (OJ-COMS) invites manuscript submissions in the area of Intelligent Communication and Perceptual of Smart City Towards 6G: Emerging Trends and Challenges.
The sixth generation (6G) wireless communication networks are expected to bring networking technologies with higher throughput, massive connections, and pervasive coverage in highly-dynamic environments to fulfill diverse application requirements. It is believed that artificial intelligence will be a central driver in the evolution towards 6G, and that 6G will enable a new generation of Internet-of-Intelligent-Things (IoIT) applications that must simultaneously deliver high reliability, low latency, and high data rates for heterogeneous network, such as future intelligent transport, smart grid, smart infrastructure, smart health, smart agriculture, and smart recreation in respect of smart cities. How the 6G communication networks should look like to support the emerging IoIT services, which will also require an end-to-end co-design of communication, perceptual, and computing functionalities, has been largely overlooked so far. To solve this new breed of IoIT services, unique challenges must be addressed ranging from characterizing the fundamental rate-reliability-latency tradeoffs governing their performance to exploiting frequencies beyond millimeter-wave and transforming wireless systems into a self-sustaining, intelligent network fabric which flexibly provisions and orchestrates communication-perceptual-computing resources tailored to the requisite Internet-of-Everything services.
Motivated by these trends, this Special Issue targets to disseminate the latest theoretical and experimental works in the domain of massive communication and intelligent perceptual technologies towards enabling massively connected, fully intelligent, and sustainable green 6G networks. The main topics of interest include, but not limited to the following:
- Energy-efficient machine learning algorithms for smart cities
- Energy harvesting and green communications for smart cities
- Signal processing and green communications for smart cities
- Physical modeling and testbed implementations for smart cities
- Cache -assisted communication and computing systems for smart cities
- Reconfigurable intelligent surfaces for smart cities
- Performance limits of intelligent communications for smart cities
- Artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled optimization and edge computing for smart cities
- AI-enabled algorithms and protocol design for smart cities
- Novel smart city applications with AI and existing wireless technologies (massive MIMO, millimeter-wave communications, THz communications, device-to-device communications, UAV communications, energy harvesting)
Manuscript Submission Deadline: 31 December 2022
Publication Date: Second Quarter 2023
Lead Guest Editor
Chunguo Li, Southeast University, China
Weiqiang Tan, Guangzhou University, China
Ghadah Aldabbagh, King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
Hyunbum Kim, Incheon National University, South Korea
Haleema Mehmood, Facebook, USA
Arumugam Nallanathan, Queen Mary University of London, U.K.
For inquiries regarding this Special Issue, please contact the Lead Guest Editor.