Third Quarter 2020
Manuscript Submission Deadline
Call for Papers
IEEE OJ-COMS invites manuscript submissions in the area of Optical Wireless Communications.
The increasing number of smart devices in different forms and capabilities combined with the worldwide adoption of advanced multimedia applications are contributing to the significant growth of the mobile data traffic. The fifth generation (5G) and beyond-5G wireless technology networks will provide very high data rates, i.e., meeting the tremendous data demand, low latency, high reliability, scalability and massively interconnected devices, which will support the emerging Internet-of-Things (IoT) applications and services.
Given the increasing pressure on the limited radio frequency (RF) spectrum, optical wireless communication (OWC) systems are believed to be a serious complementary or alternative solution to the RF technologies in certain application areas. By offering significant technical and operational advantages, OWC is receiving increasing attention within the research community. It is believed that OWC, and in particular visible light communications, will revolutionize the telecommunications marketplace currently dominated by the RF technology.
The interests and research activities in OWC covering the main three bands of ultraviolet, visible and infrared is continuing to grow, which is opening up research and development challenges that need addressing by the scientific community at large.
The aim of this Special Issue is to solicit research papers with original contributions that address the latest research and development in OWC from fundamental to applied.
The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Characterization, modeling and capacity analysis of OWC channels
- Advanced coding, modulation and equalization schemes for OWC systems
- Advanced techniques for high-speed OWC transceiver design
- Visible light communications (VLC) for indoor and outdoor applications
- Free space optical (FSO) communication links for high-mobility platforms
- Novel pointing, acquisition and tracking techniques for FSO links
- Deep space and inter-satellite FSO communications
- Hybrid very high throughput satellites with FSO feeder links
- Simultaneous light and power transfer
- FSO quantum key distribution systems
- Underwater OWC: channel characterization, signal transmission and system design
- Hybrid RF/optical or acoustic/optical links
- VLC-based indoor localization techniques
- Optical camera communications
- Organic VLC systems
- Novel techniques to improve physical security of OWC links
- Photonic devices and components for OWC
- OWC for inter and intra chip communications
- Ultra-violet OWC links, channel modeling and signal transmission
- OWC for IoT (device-to-device communications, e-health, manufacturing, etc.)
- OWC for 5G and B5G networks
- Cognitive OWC systems
Submit manuscript to: https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/oj-coms
For information regarding IEEE OJ-COMS including its publication policy and fees, please visit the website https://www.comsoc.org/publications/journals/ieee-ojcoms
Lead Guest Editor
Dr. Ali Khalighi, Institut Fresnel, Ecole Centrale Marseille, France
Prof. Zabih Ghassemlooy, University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK
Prof. Mohamed Slim Alouini, King Abdallah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia
Prof. Steve Hranilovic, McMaster University, Canada
Prof. Stanislav Zvanovec, Czech Technical University, Czech Republic
For inquiries regarding this Special Issue, please contact the Lead Guest Editor: Ali.Khalighi@fresnel.fr