Call for Papers
Optical technologies, systems and networks will be essential to the future digitized society and economy. The optical infrastructures we design and standardize today shall be prepared to connect billions of devices and humans. This demands unprecedented capacity as well as cost and energy efficiency. New design variables, such as ultra-low latency , are to be considered for new applications, such as time-sensitive applications for verticals and 5G mobile networks. The Optical Communications series is a platform for all topics broadly relevant to optical communications standards. The Series Topic (ST) will include tutorials on, analysis of, and comparisons of emerging or established IEEE and non-IEEE standards, as well as standardization processes, policy, regulatory, economic, business, intellectual property, and social issues. Current topics of interest include, but is not limited to:
- Standardization advances in the specification of optical devices and subsystems such as optical amplifiers and reconfigurable add drop multiplexers;
- High-speed optical transmission standards;
- Standardization of new framing formats, or evolution of the current standards, to enable flexible capacity scaling and time-deterministic behavior in switched optical networks;
- Standardization of network architectures for 5G and 5G evolution mobile transport;
- Software Defined Networking and Network function virtualization standards as they relate to optical communication networks;
- New control standards based on Artificial intelligence of Machine Learning as they relate to optical communication networks;
- New quantum communications standards
Manuscripts should conform to the standard format as indicated in the Information for Authors section of the Paper Submission Guidelines.
All manuscripts to be considered for publication must be submitted by the deadline through Manuscript Central. Select the "Optical Communications” topic from the drop-down menu of Topic/Series titles.
Manuscript Submission Deadline: Open
Decision Notification: 15 July
Final Manuscript Due: 15 August
Publication Date: December