Manuscript Submission Deadline
Call for Papers
Next-Generation Networks (NGNs) integrate the functionalities of a plethora of established and emerging technologies such as 5G, Artificial Intelligence (AI), edge intelligence, network softwarization, and data-plane programmability. NGNs promise to achieve ultra-fast data rates and minimal latency in wireless communication and networking. It enables smart and autonomous services and applications through AI and Machine Learning (ML). Coupled with advances in user end-devices, NGNs enable a plethora of smart services and user-defined applications. Given the rise in system complexity and the exponential increase in the amount of data exchanged through networks, new state-of-the-art NGN management solutions are needed. By adapting cooperative and distributed management solutions, more reliable and efficient services and applications are conveyed to the end-users. Moreover, with distributed learning solutions, NGNs could be optimized to support the dynamic nature in network configuration and enable end-to-end system automation. For instance, the integration of Federated Learning (FL), Deep Reinforcement Learning (DRL), and Blockchain to NGNs can support scalable, secure and diversified services and applications. Furthermore, through data plane programmability, network intelligence could be implemented directly on programmable devices with the network core. An intelligent forwarding plane would enable a faster reaction to network events without depending on a time-consuming exchange between the data and control planes.
In this Special Issue, we welcome original research that approaches novel and state-of-the-art future network and system management solutions that will ensure reliable, secure, efficient and autonomous services and applications. Researchers, practitioners, developers, and industry experts are invited to contribute to one of the scopes of the Special Issue, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Intelligent service orchestration and management.
- Secure application and service provisioning in next-generation networks.
- Smart management architectures for next-generation routing and switching.
- Intelligent network and service virtualization.
- Intelligent network slicing.
- Distributed intelligence for next-generation network orchestration and management.
- Distributed and federated learning on edge devices to support NGN management.
- Blockchain solutions to support service delivery in NGN.
- Secure and trustworthy operations and management for next-generation networks.
- Big and real-time data management and analytics for network operations.
- Federated Learning-aided next-generation multiple access.
- Architectures for next-generation routing and switching.
- FL-aided next generation circuit and packet switching.
- Emerging services and applications management for connected vehicles technologies.
- Applications and services using UAVs to support autonomous vehicles in B5G networks.
Manuscripts should conform to the standard format as indicated in the ‘Information for Authors’ section of the Paper Submission Guidelines.
All manuscripts to be considered for publication must be submitted by the deadline through Manuscript Central. Select ‘May 2022/ Managing Next-Generation Networks for Intelligent Services and Applications’ from the drop-down menu of topic titles.
Submission Deadline: 30 September 2021
First Round Notification: 15 November 2021
Second Round Due: 15 January 2022
Final Notification: 15 February 2022
Publication Date: May 2022
xAnalytics Inc., Ottawa, ON, Canada
Orange Labs, Châtillon, France
INF/UFRGS, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Boston College, USA
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China