Instructor: Daniel Wong
Wednesday, 28 February 2018 - 9:00am to 4:30pm EST
Online via WebEx
- Course Description
- Course Content
- Learning Objectives
- Who Should Attend
- Course Materials
- Course Agenda
- About the Instructor: Daniel Wong
LTE is the most successful wireless cellular system in the world today. It serves our voracious appetite for more and more mobile data, but the demand for mobile data continues to grow, and LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro are emerging. Whereas LTE-Advanced can in some ways be considered the first "true" 4G system, LTE-Advanced Pro is already heading firmly towards the support of new applications and capabilities on the path towards 5G. 5G is in some ways still a catalog of concepts, some more fleshed out than others, but by 2020 should become more concrete.
This course covers:
- motivations for going beyond LTE, and eventually towards 5G
- new application scenarios such as MTC and D2D that are strong drivers for 5G
- technology innovations in LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro: carrier aggregation, CoMP, HetNets, relaying, LAA, NB-IOT., etc.
- concepts on 5G (network densification, etc.) from IMT-2020, etc.
Massive-MIMO, millimeter wave, 5G new RAT, NFV, network slicing, and other technologies that are expected to be part of 5G
Related ComSoc Training Course(s):
LTE Fundamentals: The Essentials, 21 February 2018
Who Should Attend
For wireless and telecomm engineers, researchers, and students (advanced undergraduates or graduate students), interested in understanding (a) the directions that wireless is moving towards; (b) scenarios, requirements, and envisioned applications for 5G; (c) specifics of the innovative technologies being actively researched and developed for 5G.
The level of instruction is intermediate to advanced.
Pre-requisites: knowledge of LTE on the level of the ComSoc course on LTE is helpful. However, a brief review of LTE will be provided at the beginning of this course.
Daniel WongPresident, Daniel Wireless LLC, IEEE WCP
K. Daniel Wong is President of Daniel Wireless LLC, a California-registered company that provides consulting and training in wireless, networking and software. He has over 20 years experience in wireless communications, both in industry and academia. Daniel is also an experienced speaker and teacher, having taught many highly-rated university level courses, industry short courses and tutorials at conferences, to a wide range of students from industry, government and academia. He is a member of the Practice Analysis Task Force that helped create IEEE's WCET certification program, and a co-author and co-editor of "A Guide to the Wireless Engineering Body of Knowledge" (WEBOK). Daniel is also the author of "Wireless Internet Telecommunications" (Artech House, 2004) and "Fundamentals of Wireless Communication Engineering Technologies" (Wiley, 2012). Daniel graduated with a BSE (with Highest Honors) from Princeton University, and an MSc. and Ph.D from Stanford University, all in electrical engineering.
Upon completing this course, participants will:
- Know how to think of LTE-Advanced (and LTE-Advanced Pro) systems from a systems perspective, how the different components are put together and work together.
- Better understand how to design LTE-Advanced deployments to optimize usage of LTE-Advanced technologies.
- Be able to explain the directions in which technology and standards are moving as 5G comes.
- Be better able to explore ideas for solving problems posed by requirements for new communications system (with 5G and its requirements as an example).
- Be able to compare and contrast wireless technologies more accurately and with deeper insight and understanding than before.
See agenda below.
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 15 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Untis for participating.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, cancellation and refund requests cannot be accommodated.
Introduction (60 minutes)
- Definitions, overview
- LTE very brief review
- Moving forward from LTE
- Motivations for 5G
- Market overview o
New application scenarios (30 minutes)
- The dense, heterogeneous network ..
- Very high quality video, VR/AR, etc.
LTE-Advanced (90 minutes)
- Carrier Aggregation
Other topics o LTE-Advanced Pro (60 minutes)
- LTE-Unlicensed (LTE-U)
- Licensed-Assisted Access (LAA) and Enhanced LAA (eLAA)
- Full-dimension MIMO
- Indoor positioning
Enhancements to LTE-Advanced o 5G Network Architecture and Concepts (60 minutes)
- Network slicing
Network densification and its implications o 5G Radio Access Architectures and Concepts (60 minutes)
- Massive MIMO
- Millimeter wave
- New waveforms over the air