First time offered!
Instructor: Azar Taufique
Wednesday, 27 June 2018 - 9:00am to 4:30pm EDT
Online via WebEx
- Course Description
- Course Content
- Learning Objectives
- Who Should Attend
- Course Materials
- Course Agenda
- About the Instructor: Azar Taufique
This course provides specialized information related to long term evolution (LTE) radio access network (RAN) optimization from a non-vendor perspective, providing an overview of all the aspects of the radio access network for LTE with respect to performance and optimization.
Conventionally a wireless technology course details and lists the important problems a technology solves, describes solution architecture, how it operates and specific use cases. However, this course is different than a standard technology course. This course focuses on the optimization techniques and areas to target when it comes to 4G LTE Optimization and Performance.
4G LTE is a purely packet switched network technology and it comes with its own set of optimizing challenges such coverage, interference, mobility, capacity and quality. In this course we will address how the above-mentioned performance challenges can be solved in 4G LTE Optimization.
LTE Optimization mainly refers to the pre-optimization and the continuous optimization before and after the network is launched. This course covers RAN aspects of 4G LTE Optimization starting with the six different types of key performance indicators (KPIs) defined in third generation partnership project (3GPP) standard, including topics such as how each one of these KPIs are computed, what parameters and configuration affect these KPIs, and how these KPIs can be optimized. This course also covers the practical aspects of these KPIs and how it will affect the end consumer experience.
Optimization in 4G LTE is different than 2G and 3G technology, therefore conventional optimization techniques are not applicable for 4G LTE, hence a dedicated course for LTE Optimization is more helpful to answer your 4G LTE specific questions.
Course participants will be provided with starting points to consider and to investigate whenever they are faced with a throughput optimization problem in LTE. The instructor provides practical industry wisdom on how to think and apply the knowledge in everyday optimization scenarios.
Who Should Attend
The course is intended for RF engineers, performance engineers, research scientists, PhD students, service and network engineers or anyone looking to learn about LTE RF optimization. The level of instruction for this course is advanced.
The pre-requisites for the course include a firm understanding of the following:
- LTE Architecture
- LTE Air Interface in the Downlink
- LTE Air Interface in the Uplink
- LTE Configuration and parameters
Azar TaufiqueTechnical Trainer
Azar holds the position of Technical Training program manager with Amazon Inc. and Technical Trainer with TechTrained.com LLC. Prior to his current role, he worked with Ericsson Inc. where he trained more than 2500+ technical professionals from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile on 4G LTE. His telecommunication blog is read by thousands of ICT professionals weekly.
In 2013, he was recognized as 30 under 30 learning leader. Azar graduated with a Masters in Telecommunications engineering from University of Texas at Dallas in 2010 and earned his PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering from University of Oklahoma. His research interests are mobility management and new architectures for mobility management support in 5G.
Upon completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Investigate practically what factors to look for when improving poor throughput in LTE
- Learn five practical ways to start Optimizing LTE network immediately
- Understand how to look at LTE architecture strategically from performance and optimization perspective
- The hierarchical dependence of Key Performance indicators (KPIs) on parameters and performance indicators and how to relate them
- Understand what statistics are collected in LTE network to monitor its performance
The course begins with an introduction to LTE performance management which leads into the anatomy of LTE optimization. In-depth coverage of KPI Analysis for LTE Accessibility, LTE Retainability, LTE Integrity, LTE Mobility, and LTE Utilization are provided as the core of this course’s content. The course concludes with a discussion on LTE System Level Optimization.
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 15 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
- E-UTRAN Performance Management solution
- Difference between Initial Tuning and Optimization
- Types of eNodeB counters are collected and stored
- Draw Optimization Flow Chart
Types of LTE RAN KPIs
Anatomy of LTE Optimization
- Radio Frame Structure
- LTE System and Operation
- Key Parameters which influence Network Operation
- Parameters, Performance Indicators and Key Performance Indicators
- Definition of Accessibility
- How Accessibility is Measured
Phases of Accessibility
- RRC Accessibility
- S1 Accessibility
- EPS Bearer Level Accessibility
- Pivotal Parameters Affecting Accessibility
- Definition of Retainability
- How Retainability is Measured
- Retainability Drops Analysis
- Retainability Percentage Analysis
- Pivotal Parameters Affecting Accessibility
- Definition of Mobility
- Preparation Phase
- Execution Phase
- Mobility Procedures
- Events which can affect Mobility
- Tuning of Handover Parameters
Integrity KPI Analysis
- Definition of Integrity KPIs
- How Throughput is calculated
- Throughput KPIs
- How Delay is Calculated
- Delay / Latency KPIs
- How Packet Loss is Calculated
- Packet Loss KPIs
Availability KPI Analysis
- Definition of Availability KPIs
- How Availability KPIs are computed
- Pivotal Parameters affecting Availability KPIs
Utilization KPI Analysis
- Definition of Utilization KPIs
- Pivotal parameters affecting Utilization KPIs
System Level Optimization
- LTE Network Optimization Frame Work
- QoS and Optimization Frame Work
- Making sure your Network Remains Optimized
- Performance in Idle Mode
- Performance in Connected Mode
- Performance Measurements