Andrea M. Tonello (M’00–SM’12) is Professor and Chair of the Embedded Communication Systems Group at the University of Klagenfurt, Austria. He received the Laurea degree (summa cum laude, 1996) and the Ph.D (2002) in electrical engineering from the University of Padova, Italy. From 1997 to 2002, he was with Bell Labs-Lucent Technologies, Whippany, NJ, USA, first as a Member of the Technical Staff. Then, he was promoted to Technical Manager and appointed to Managing Director of the Bell Labs Italy division. From 2003 to 2014 he was Aggregate Professor, and later Associate Professor, with the University of Udine, Italy where he founded the Wireless and Power Line Communications Lab and the spin-of company WiTiKee.
Dr. Tonello received several awards, including eight best paper awards, the Bell Labs Recognition of Excellence Award (1999), the Distinguished Visiting Fellowship from the Royal Academy of Engineering, U.K. (2010), the IEEE VTS Distinguished Lecturer Award (2011-2015), and the Italian Full Professor Habilitation (2013). In the area of wireless systems, power line communications, radio localization and smart grids, he published over 200 journal/conference papers, 1 book, 8 book chapters, and he holds 10 patents.
He serves as Chair of the IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Power Line Communications. He is/was Associate Editor of IEEE TVT, IEEE TCOM, IEEE ACCESS, IET Smart Grid. He was General Chair of IEEE ISPLC 2011, IEEE SmartGridComm 2014, and TPC co-chair of several IEEE conferences/symposia.
- Power line communications: from vehicular to smart grid applications
- Power line beyond communications: sensing and diagnostics for power networks
- The role of communications, sensing and computing in smart grids
- Filter bank modulation, waveforms and friends for wireless and wireline communications
- Multiple antenna radio localization: challenges, techniques and applications from smart cars to UAVs
- The role of communication, localization and control in UAV systems