21 October 2021 - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm EDT
Registration closes on 19 October 2021 at 5:00pm EDT
Online via WebEx
$279 IEEE ComSoc member
|Not a member? Join ComSoc Today
IEEE Members can add ComSoc to their membership.
This new course is an expansion on the half-day, “Cloud-Native 5G: Architecture, Enablers, and Roadmap” course. It presents an end-to-end view and shares insights on each aspect of 5G architecture and its roadmap, including multi-access, service-based and cloud-native 5G core enabling a wide range of use cases. The course is designed to help participants understand the technology, industry, strategy, and research building blocks from an introductory-to-advanced level without being highly technical or formula heavy. Insights on end-to-end strategic pillars, technology, industry, service enablement, and ecosystem roadmap, challenges, and realities, along with what to expect in the next several years and beyond will be shared.
Participants will study 5G systems, focusing on end-to-end 5G system and also 5G core. Timelines and how the broad range of use cases with diverse requirements are enabled will be addressed. An explanation of the integration of 4G, Wi-Fi, fixed, and non-terrestrial communications, in the multi-access and converged future will be provided. 5G core and its key functions in separated control and user planes will be discussed, along with end-to-end service enablement, leveraging native telco cloud, and an increasingly open, disaggregated, and cloud-based RAN, as part of the end to end system and network slice.
The instructor will explain the evolution of the next generation architecture, technologies and operation and how network slicing, NFV, SDN, automation, orchestration, etc. are introduced from design, or how they are increasingly built and evolved. Technology enablers such as machine-learning as an essential aspect of automation, edge & hybrid cloud, etc. will also be discussed, from architecture and standards to deployments and service enablement, including how they migrate and evolve.
The course will wrap-up with key important forward-looking paradigms: 5G system cloud native network / platform, increasingly open, autonomous and cognitive; service ubiquity leveraging multi-access 5G system, energy efficiency and sustainability, and the path to beyond 5G.
Special IEEE Day Offer!
In honor of IEEE Day, ComSoc is offering a 15% discount on the registration fee for this course. To receive the discount, use promo code IEEEDAYCLOUD during the checkout process or add this course to your shopping cart with the discount applied.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for industry / enterprise professionals, public or private (from juniors to subject matter experts in various fields, range of industries impacted by digital transformation, 5G, IoT), academia (profs/researchers/program developers), consultants and self-employed who would like to learn more about 5G in an end-to-end context setting. If you would like to gain insights and get an introduction of concepts, technologies, architecture, standards, research, industry roadmap, and 5G technologies enabling the next 5 years, this course will be of interest to you.
Participants in this course will gain an understanding of
- 5G system, architecture, and functions
- 5G deployments, migration options and roadmap (incl real examples)
- Cloud native & cognitive autonomous nature of 5G system evolution & operation
- Multi-access nature of 5G core & service ubiquity through integration of fixed/mobile, local/wide, terrestrial/non-terrestrial
- Wide range of use cases, with case studies & many examples and how value/service is created and delivered to wide range of use cases with diverse requirements
- How the end to end works, how it connects to other Comsoc courses (e.g. 5G NR, Security, IoT, Cloud, etc.), and how to be empowered to go deeper on any component
- The work of standardization bodies, and the status of the ecosystem and industries
- Full 5G realization in coming years and its path towards beyond 5G with examples
- Context and insight, above and beyond information
- Broad range and areas of research
- Motivation and 5G characterization
- Digital socio-economic transformation & increasingly automated industries wide range of use cases
- 5G characterization
- 5G architecture, deployment, operation
- Evolution from 4G to 5G, 5G core disaggregation and service-based architecture, role of functions, end-t-end operation with examples (from user access, mobility, and session to Internet), key protocols, QoS
- 5G deployments and LTE/5G migration options and inter-working – real examples
- Standardization releases, study and work items, and timeline
- Use cases and case study
- Cloud native 5G system roadmap
- Cloud, NFV/virtualization, containers/micro-services, SDN, SD-WAN, ONAP, orchestration, etc.
- E2E Cognitive Autonomous 5G incl reconfigurable RAN with distributed intelligence, Edge computing
- Developments across SDO’s and Community (integrated / embedded)
- Network slicing & E2E Service Delivery (with examples)
- Multi-Access 5G
- Access-neutral 5G core, service continuity, fixed/mobile, local/wide, terrestrial/non-terrestrial
- Case Study 2
- Energy efficiency and sustainability
- From full realization of 5G to beyond-5G / 6G
Each registered participant receives a copy of instructor slides and access to the recording of the course for 20 business days after the live lecture. Earn 0.6 IEEE Continuing Education Units for participating.
Upon registration, you will automatically be emailed the WebEx invitation for the course session, but you will also be sent a reminder message to join the WebEx session prior to the start of the course. Course materials will be emailed to you and will be available for download from the WebEx session page for this course, the day prior to the scheduled course date.
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy: Requests for online course cancellations must be received 3 business days prior to the course date for a full refund. Once course materials have been shared with a participant, a cancellation request cannot be accommodated.
For general inquiries and technical support, contact Tara McNally, Certification and Professional Education Manager.